Welcome Agents of Widen Elementary! Good luck on your missions to end bullying, animal abuse, kidnapping, cancer, and sexual violence!
Check out these kid-friendly volunteer opportunities!
Check here for the latest and greatest news on ways for kids to take action in central Texas: http://littlehelpinghands.org/volunteer/volunteer-calendar/
- Austin Pets Alive Book Buddies Program: (1st grade and up) Read to kitties! Create a social environment in the Feline Leukemia Cat Sanctuary; program is designed to promote youth awareness of the shelter environment and the No-Kill movement through reading. Children able to read at any level may come with an adult to read to cats! http://www.austinpetsalive.org/get-involved/volunteer/
- Children and parents help with varying projects through Little Helping Hands, including assembling adoption packets, decorating “Adopt Me!” bandanas for dogs, creating rice sock heating pads, making cards for donors. http://littlehelpinghands.org/volunteer/volunteer-calendar/
- Austin Dog Alliance Pet Therapy Helpers (under 13 yrs) Play with dogs to help socialize them do they can help provide therapy for others! http://littlehelpinghands.org/volunteer/volunteer-calendar/
- ARCH – Cook dinner for residents! Prepare or serve meals for people in need of food and shelter. No info available online for volunteer opportunities for children http://www.frontsteps.org/volunteer/volunteer-opportunties/
- Caritas – (3 yrs +) Help support individuals and families experiencing poverty by assembling, preparing meals! See http://littlehelpinghands.org/volunteer/volunteer-calendar/
- El Buen Samaritano Pantry Helper, Hope Food Pantry, Meals on Wheels & More PALS (ages 4-6) help sort, package, and label dog and cat food. http://littlehelpinghands.org/volunteer/volunteer-calendar/
- Habitat for Humanity – Help create a home for families in need! Children under 15 are not allowed on active construction sites, but can landscape, paint, or help with lunch sponsorship. http://www.austinhabitat.org/youth-volunteer-policy
- TreeFolks planting activity, Mayfield Park & Preserve Work Days, Community garden work days, Keep Austin Beautiful Tool Painting, SFC garden work day, etc. http://www.keepaustinbeautiful.org/volunteer_opportunities_registration http://littlehelpinghands.org/volunteer/volunteer-calendar/, http://www.treefolks.org/volunteer-opportunities/
- Participate in a rally or march for environmental justice!
- Take part in your school’s Bright Green Future projects! City of Austin Office of Sustainability offered grant money to 24 Austin schools to participate in the Bright Green Future initiative http://www.austintexas.gov/news/grant-funding-awarded-local-k-12-schools-sustainability-projects
- World Wildlife Foundation
- https://support.worldwildlife.org/site/SPageServer?pagename=can_actions, https://support.worldwildlife.org/site/SPageServer?pagename=can_home
- Sign up for Earth Hour! Pledge to turn off your lights for one hour.
- Send a letter to your representatives/to the president and demand climate change action now! https://support.worldwildlife.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=811
- Pledge to take a stand against wildlife crime! Save endangered species! https://support.worldwildlife.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=664
- BULLYING – for schools that are participating in the No Place for Hate Program, children can join the NPFH club and attend meetings, brainstorm events and activities that encourage a bully-free environment. This program depends on administrative initiative to take on the program. http://www.cvent.com/events/2014-2015-no-place-for-hate-austin/custom-18-2e1d095f89cc409d8b209ffd33210839.aspx
- CHILD ABUSE
- Prevent Child Abuse Texas- Prevent child abuse with public awareness! Distribute literature to public sites and community events. http://www.preventchildabusetexas.org/volunteers.html
- Austin Child Guidance Center – (no specific info about child volunteer opportunities) Help create safe space for families in need of therapeutic healing and transform the Children’s Healing Garden! http://www.austinchildguidance.org/you-can-help-2/volunteer/
- CANCER/ CHRONIC ILLNESS
- Dell Children’s Hospital:Decorating Activity – help make decorations to hang in the emergency room! http://littlehelpinghands.org/volunteer/volunteer-calendar/
- Woody Pet Therapy Volunteer Program: Brighten someone’s day, bring your dog for a visit!
Congratulations on your new real-world missions, Agents of Bluebonnet Trail Elementary!
We can’t wait to learn more about your plans to stop bullying and child abuse in Agent Belz and Weatherford ‘s class, and to end global warming/pollution and poverty in Agent Adams’ class!
Agent Middleton, Unit Two: Child Abuse, Animal Abuse